Fashion has become increasingly more accessible over the years, with different labels and stores catering to various budgets. What many would have thought to be a classic divide between luxury fashion and streetwear has been fading away in the past decade, as these two seemingly opposite fashion worlds blend together. We look at how and why the worlds of high-end fashion and streetwear have become intrinsically linked in recent years.
1. Exploring the Intersection of Streetwear and Luxury Fashion
The world of streetwear and luxury fashion have a long history of intertwining. In the past, luxury fashion labels were associated with extravagant designs and opulence, while streetwear was seen as a distinctively casual and relaxed style. Nowadays, the two styles have combined to create a diverse wardrobe for fashion lovers.
The streetwear and luxury fashion mixture is like a breath of fresh air in the fashion world. Bold colors and shapes that are associated with streetwear are mixed with luxurious materials and textures. Leather, silk, and velvet can be seen adorning items from streetwear collections. Uniquely designed jackets and oversized tees work perfectly in creating a diverse combination. Going further, sneakers and sandals have gotten a stylish upgrade with the combination of both trends. A whole new fashion spectrum is opened up with endless possibilities.
- Eye-catching colors and prints transform everyday items.
- Luxury materials add extravagance to streetwear pieces.
- Unique silhouettes give a sophisticated look.
2. How Streetwear Is Influencing Luxury Brands
The power and popularity of streetwear has generated waves in the fashion world, and luxury labels are no different. Luxury brands are embracing the streetwear look and playing by their own rules in the industry.
- Raw materials like corduroy and wool are being used in luxury items, rather than traditional silks and satins.
- Cut and sew methods are being used to create one of a kind designs.
- Logos are being muted or removed from labels to give an urban flavour.
The influence of streetwear has infiltrated so much of high-end fashion, it’s hard to keep up. Many luxury brands are working together with streetwear legends to collaborate on new looks and trending products. Hoodies and sweatshirts are now made from the finest fabrics, and sneakers are given the designer treatment. The result is an exciting fusion of luxury and street style, one that looks set to shape the fashion industry for years to come.
3. Street Style and the Changes in Luxury Design
Luxury fashion has traditionally been known as a genre defined by exclusivity, rarity and timelessness. Yet, recently, street style has taken the centre stage, becoming the main source of inspiration for the most high-end designers.
Street style has changed the way luxe fashion is perceived, arriving into the luxury space with a bold, vibrant and more relatable approach to style. High-end pieces are now not just focused on elegance and sophistication, but have incorporated more daring colour pallets, different fabrics and cutting-edge styles, in order to keep up with the fast-paced evolution of street style.
This new trend has redefined luxury, transforming it into a more inclusive environment, blurring the line between high-end and high street. Some of the main characteristics associated with luxury fashion now include:
- Rewritten Classics: Drawing inspiration from past decades, designers are now embracing the ‘sporty chic’ trend, pairing modern technology with timeless pieces.
- Comfortable Fabrics: Luxury fashion has moved away from stiff fittings, adapting comfortable fabrics which still maintain a luxe look.
- Abundant Accessories: From bright shades to oversized jewellery and bags – accessories are now an essential part of a luxe look.
Street style is now leading the avenue of luxury fashion, providing a fresh perspective on the world of haute couture. Luxury style is now all about what you make of it – offering new opportunities for creativity and free expression.
4. Finding Balance Between the Two Fashion Worlds
Fashion is one of the most exciting and divisive industries – its vibrant expressions have been loved and rejected across the generations. It can often pit the conventional against the outrageous; the ornate against the minimal; the tailored against the relaxed, in an unending cycle of push and pull.
To find real balance, one must take a step back, step away from convention and view fashion as a creative expression of who we are and how we want to be viewed by the world. We can find new, untraditional ways of demonstrating our appreciation for the industry by combining seemingly opposing ideas. For example, by combining classic lines with an unexpected burst of color. Or, by pairing structured and loose silhouettes. Or, even by matching minimalist décor with unique, eye-catching accessories.
- Classic lines with unexpected bursts of color
- Structured and loose silhouettes
- Minimalist décor with unique accessories
These are just a few different ways to create a harmonious combination between two worlds of fashion. The key is to be creative, adventurous and open-minded. With a bit of experimentation, soon enough we’ll find the perfect blend of traditional and modern styles that celebrates and embraces both worlds. To draw a close to this article, let’s look at the relationship between streetwear and luxury fashion as an ongoing collaboration of style influences and elements. While skater and streetwear trends set the tone, established luxury fashion houses inspire these trends with their interpretation of the two style worlds. So whether your prefer streetwear or luxury fashion, it’s safe to say there’s something unique and exciting for everyone.